DESCRIPTION: As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for development of structural analysis tools, methods, and training for use in the development of next generation launch vehicle structures. This is a hands-on position that will involve all aspects of structural analysis process development to optimize the efficiency of the Blue Origin Vehicles Group structures team. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Development of software tools (Excel, Matlab, etc) to support the detailed analysis and optimization of primary and secondary airframe structures
- Creation of structural analysis training curriculum covering classical airframe analysis methods, practical FEA approaches, applied aerospace structural engineering principles, and structural optimization methods.
- Conducting structural analysis training classes
- Development of company analysis standards and methods
- Identification of opportunities for analysis efficiency improvements
- Act as a focal for existing structural analysis software including coordination of training and development of customized functionality
- Mentoring designers and junior structural analysts in structural analysis best practices
- B.S. degree in engineering and 7+ years of experience with aircraft, spacecraft, launch vehicle structures, or automotive;
- Demonstrated process automation experience using scripting languages (VBA, Matlab, Python, FORTRAN, etc)
- Demonstrated experience working on and developing analysis tools for launch vehicles, aircraft, or automotive in several of the following areas:
- Vehicle load path definition and strength analysis;
- Structural optimization using standard industry codes (Optistruct, HyperSizer, Nastran Sol 200, etc)
- Analysis of metallic and/or composite structures (skin-stringer, fittings, sandwich panels, etc);
- Fatigue or damage tolerance and crack growth (hand calcs, NASGRO, VCCT, etc);
- Familiarity with classical aerospace sizing methods (Bruhn, Niu, Roark, etc).
- Demonstrated expertise with one or more of the following analysis codes: Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus, LS-Dyna, Optistruct
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder)
- Experience conducting structural analysis training courses
- Experience with aerospace structural certification
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive salaries, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will review all qualified applicants for consideration of employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, religion, or disabilities. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.