DESCRIPTION: As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will create multi-domain dynamic mathematical models of subsystems for Blue’s aerospace vehicles and associated ground support infrastructure and test apparatus. You will help to create the methods, best practices, and tools used to develop the dynamic models. You should be comfortable collaborating in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. This position reports into the Flight Sciences team.
- Design, analyze and implement the software design and programming of math models for complex multi-degree of freedom (e.g. 3DOF, 6DOF) aerospace vehicles and their associated subsystems using first principles and test data.
- Develop and implement simulation architectures and models suitable for faster than real-time Monte-Carlo analysis and real-time hardware-in-the loop (HIL) testing.
- Develop and maintain model documentation and databooks.
- Develop software for the large-scale analysis of vehicle flight performance data.
- Document and assist engineers across the company in developing the products required to implement Blue’s simulations.
- Support systems analysis and have a cross-functional mindset to support system level architectural decisions.
- Perform time-domain robustness, failure, and performance assessments.
- Support the delivery of linearized and simplified non-linear models employed for GN&C (Guidance, Navigation, and Control) design.
- Perform analyses and validation using simulations and Monte-Carlo analysis to satisfy top-level system specifications and requirements.
- Assist in the development of verification and validation procedures to ensure all dynamic model products perform as specified to meet system and subsystem requirements.
- Support the development and execution of component-level test programs including integrated on-vehicle testing and post-test analysis to support model verification
- B.S. degree in mechanical, aerospace engineering, physics, or related discipline
- 5+ years of design or physical modeling experience
- Advanced knowledge in the design, development, testing, and verification of dynamic models of physical systems; especially rockets, missiles, spacecraft or aerodynamic reentry systems and their associated subsystems
- Strong software and model development skills, particularly in MATLAB/Simulink.
- Strong mathematical abilities
- Highly organized and capable of planning and working with technical peers across a variety of domains (e.g., guidance, control, aerodynamic, propulsion, mechanical, fluid, electrical, thermal)
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills including presenting
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder)
- M.S. or Ph.D. in electrical, mechanical, or aerospace engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge of dynamic modeling, including multi-body dynamics, flexible body dynamics, gas dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics, and fluid slosh.
- Experience in sensor modeling including but not limited to inertial navigation systems.
- Experience with electro-mechanical, hydraulic and electrical subsystems.
- Experience anchoring/fitting first principles models to test data or high-fidelity external simulations using system identification or other numerical methods
- Knowledge of the Mathworks modeling and code generation toolchains
- Experience developing and verifying physical models for the purpose of control design, component sizing, and system performance evaluation
- Knowledge of hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing
- Ability to continuously manage risk and be comfortable with lean software development techniques
- Solid system engineering, configuration management skills
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive salaries, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will review all qualified applicants for consideration of employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, religion, or disabilities. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.