DESCRIPTION: As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for the structural analysis of launch vehicle mechanical systems including landing gear, control surfaces, TVC, and miscellaneous hydraulic systems for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of structural integrity for space vehicle mechanical systems throughout design, assembly, testing, and flight operations. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Participate in the entire design cycle of mechanical subsystems including conceptual design, structural layout and analysis, and structural test
- Identification of opportunities for safety improvements and weight savings
- Supporting configuration development and trade studies
- Improving enterprise analysis capabilities such as creating process automation tools for strength checks and analysis report generation
- Providing technical guidance and oversight for designers completing structural analysis
- Maintain and report on activity schedule and technical status
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with the structural analysis of mechanical systems
- Experience with FEA analysis tools (ANSYS preferred)
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD programs (Creo Pro/E preferred)
- Working knowledge of manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, characterization & allowables development
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder)
- Experience with fatigue analysis and fracture mechanics (hand calcs, NASGRO, VCCT, etc)
- Familiarity with aerospace industry standard structural analysis methods (Bruhn, Marks’, Shigley)
- Experience with mechanical systems including landing gear, control surfaces, and TVC systems.
- Demonstrated process automation experience using scripting (VBA, Matlab, Python, FORTRAN, etc)
- Experience with one or more of the following analysis codes: Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus, LS-Dyna, Optistruct
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive salaries, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will review all qualified applicants for consideration of employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, religion, or disabilities. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.